Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Spoonful Of Delight- And Surprises! :)

Mary Poppins Columbus, Ohio - My Review

First off, before my review I would like to thank CAPA Columbus for the great opportunity to see the show when Mary Landed in Columbus. To say that this was exactly like the movie would be unfair to the viewer, but to say that the new songs, and surprises will leave you hungry for more- well thats and understatement- you will never want this show to end! I watched the movie last night, on April 20th, before going to the show tonight for the 7:30pm performance on April 21st,2011. I must say that in having heard the soundtrack, and even seeing this musical in New York City, this tour gave me so much more then I could of ever remembered.

The new staging is amazing, starting off almost like a pop up story book, to the new arrangements,and new songs not from the movie to fit the tour. There are also some songs not in the musical from the movie(but they have been changed to be better suited to put this show on stage, and make the show more relevant to todays current issues). The show is filled with so many brand new surprises, even for me the adult who knew the story, the movie, and had even seen the show. I must say from the first note to the end- this show will be holding your attention. You will be singing along, and you won't know what to expect next- which makes this tour "practically perfect".

The kids playing the Banks children are also so amazing; here's where I should also note that we have a hometown heroine in the show. Camille Mancuso - age 11, from Columbus, Ohio herself- makes another tour home. Having seen her in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Annie- I am super excited to see her career bring her back home... She makes such an amazing Jane Banks- and so does her co star as Michael Banks! These children were amazing and so were the actors playing Mr and Mrs Banks. Mrs Banks even gave me chills more than one time in her performance last evening.

The music still spectacular - I always have the songs stuck in my head- as I should note I am a huge Mary Poppins fan already. Which brings me to the show itself. Mary Poppins is a tale with many themes going on- and with that said I would like to share- that this story is still very modern, and I challenge anyone to go and not find something to be able to relate too.

WORK, CHILDREN, PARENTING, DREAMS, WISHES, and learning TO REACH FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE- ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU JUST TRY.

The show is a little long for some children- but the show is recommended for those six and up, and I would say if you child can sit through the movie then they would love to see this spectacular show come to life before their very eyes. With that said Mary Poppins likes games and you could make this a learning game too: read the original novels with your children, and then check out this awesome book by Disney- and show them how the theater works- Not only can this show be fun- but it can be an awesome learning experience, and a way to show your children how stories can be turned into a live musical- which in my opinion is a great great great opportunity for those parents looking to show your children the theater, and have some family fun!



Well this is just an idea! Hopefully you will consider it!


I can't wait for my next "Jolly Holiday" with Mary Poppins to happen, and I hope I can catch this show again before it leaves town.

You wanna know how to catch the show- well its simple and here's how: The show will run here in Columbus, Ohio from April 20th- May 8th, 2011 at the Ohio Theater in Columbus Ohio!

For more information contact CAPA - Columbus Association for the Performing Arts Box Office
39 East State Street
Columbus, OH 43215-4203
(614) 469-0939

Or check out these websites for more information:

http://www.capa.com
http://www.capa.com/presentations/current-season-presentations/mary-poppins
http://broadwayacrossamerica.com/shows/maryPoppins.html
Official Links
www.marypoppins.com
www.facebook.com/marypoppins
www.youtube.com/disneyonbroadway

I hope you make it to this show and enjoy! :) I know I did- and once again thanks to CAPA for the opportunity to share this show with my readers!

Here's another sneak peek: please check this out!

No comments: